National organizations offer robust information and are a good starting point for research and information about a chronic condition or ailment. Many national organizations have state or regional chapters and may offer free newsletters and other information resources.
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Dietetic Association
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- Arthritis Foundation
- Centers for Disease Control
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Families USA
- Mobility International
- National Council on Disability
AARP membership is available to individuals over 50 years of age who are or are not yet retired. The organization’s mission is to empower its members to choose who they live as they age. www.aarp.org – Member benefits include:
- Government advocacy and support
- Medical related: Medical, dental, vision care and long-term care insurance, health tools and calculators, symptom checkers, hearing tests and more
- Travel-related benefits: Car rentals, airfare, rail, tours and vacation packages, hotel discounts
- Dining and entertainment discounts
Both Medicare and Medicaid are government-sponsored programs to assist US citizens with healthcare costs. Each has eligibility requirements and coverage. Medicare is a federal program associated with social security, and is available to US citizens age 65 and older and individuals with certain disabilities. In MA, Medicaid is state program that helps low-income individuals pay for long-term custodial care. There are income eligibility requirements that apply.
- Everyday Health
This site includes information on various health conditions, health living strategies including diet and exercise, as well as health tools such as a prescription medication lookup tool, a calorie counter and a symptom checker.
This site includes health and wellness information including information and resources for specific diseases and conditions, symptom checkers, medical terms dictionary and a free online newsletter.